If you do not attend a Cambridge International School it is possible for you to sit Cambridge International
examinations by making an entry as a private candidate (this includes home educated students).
Examinations are held in line with the New Zealand academic year and take place in the November session.
The June session is not available to Private Candidates.
Approved Cambridge International Centres are able to offer and arrange private candidate services directly
with applicants. This excludes candidates who are already enrolled in another Cambridge International Centre.
Private candidates cannot enter for or sit their examinations at more than one Cambridge International Centre
during any one examination series.
Please note that certain Syllabuses or options are not available to private candidates, and this is detailed in the
specific syllabus under the availability heading. Each Cambridge International Centre will determine which of
the approved syllabuses they will offer.
Private candidate applications will be considered on an individual case-by-case basis only. Cambridge
Assessment International Education does not enter into third party (group or organisation) agreements.
Cambridge International Centres who may accept private candidate applications are:
ACG Parnell College
St Peter's College
Pukekohe Christian School
St Paul's Collegiate School
Western Heights High School
St. Dominic's College
Chilton Saint James School
Christchurch Boys' High School
Southland Girls' High School
The process for private candidates will operate as follows:
- Private candidates identify potential Cambridge International Centres via the 'Find A School' service
on the Cambridge Assessment International Education public website or through the ACSNZ website
- Private candidates approach Cambridge International Centres directly and negotiate potential entries,
preferably prior to the start of study
- Cambridge International Centres agree and confirm possible examination entries and invoice private
candidates (Cambridge International entry fee plus private candidate standard fee)
- Cambridge International Centres advise private candidates of Cambridge International examination requirements
- Private candidate entries are submitted along with Centre entries by the set deadline
- Statement of Entries and examination sitting arrangements are sent to private candidates by the
Cambridge International Centre
- Private candidates complete their examinations at the Cambridge International Centre
- Private candidate scripts are processed along with Centre candidate scripts
- Result documentation is sent to private candidates by the Cambridge International Centre
Fees Structure for Private Candidates:
In order for schools to recover the associated costs with offering private candidate examination services, a
standard fee will be charged. This fee is in addition to the Cambridge International entry fee for any syllabus,
as outlined in the Fees Schedule.
The standard fee is NZ$100 plus GST ($115 inc GST) per subject/level (excluding Modern Languages and AS
Biology, Chemistry and Physics).
Modern Languages and AS Biology, Chemistry and Physics (where available) is NZ$200 plus GST ($230 inc GST)
due to the additional examination cost for the Speaking and Practical Test assessments.
Note: examination entries will not be submitted if fees are outstanding. Submissions/amendments after the
set deadline will incur additional late fees.
The offering of examination services to private candidates is a matter between the Cambridge International
Centre and individual private candidates, except in that all Cambridge International protocols and regulations
relating to examination processes must be strictly adhered to. Cambridge Assessment International Education
and Cambridge International Centres are under no obligation to offer access to Cambridge International
Examinations to private candidates.
Cambridge Assessment International Education and ACSNZ will not engage in disputes between Centres and